Your poodle is a special part of your family, and no doubt you want to spoil your pup!
However, there are certain foods you should never, under any circumstances, give to your pet! There are also plants that can be poisonous to your pet- whether they try to eat them or some of their pollen falls and your pet licks it. It’s important to take precautions and be informed on what is poisonous to your poodle!
You may be tempted to give in to those puppy eyes begging for a bit of your chocolate chip cookie, or a bit of stew. However, these can be incredibly poisonous to dogs! There are a few common poisons, such as:
- Grapes (and raisins!)
- Onions and Garlic
- Macadamia Nuts
- Raw Doughs
Whether you like to have flowers and plants around your home, or you let your poodle explore nature, there are some plants that are toxic to your pooch. It’s important to keep an eye on your pet, and make sure none of these plants are in an area where your pet can get them, or any dust that may fall from them! Some poisonous plants are:
Should your poodle get into any of these foods or plants on accident, call your vet or breeder for guidance.
Some Poodle-Safe Treats
As we mentioned in our blog about feeding your poodle, do not introduce any new food, human or otherwise, to your poodle until it is at least 8 months old. Also, be aware of the caloric differences!
That being said, for a special treat (like your pup’s birthday!) you want to give your poodle food that is nutrient rich for them. Try things like:
- Unseasoned lean meat
- Eggs (raw or cooked)
- Sweet potatoes
- Plain yogurt
Just make sure that you save human food for special occasions, and give it in small amounts!
Here at Scarlet’s Fancy Poodles, we love each pup like it is our own. We are a family business and have been proudly raising poodles for nearly 60 years. We take caring for our puppies very seriously and have an application process to ensure that they go to great homes. To begin your puppy adoption process, fill out an application today!